Remember Mad Max in the movie Road Warrior? Hollywood brought to film the bleakness, chaos, and despair of survival in the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse. And they illustrated one point very clearly - a person can survive.
You know Armageddon is coming.
Its twin brother apocalypse is just around the corner. From worldwide virus outbreaks, to global warming, flooding, and even monster sunspots, it’s pretty obvious this planet is doomed at some point. Unless, that is, we are prepared!
How in the world can you prepare for becoming the next Mad Max when all hell breaks loose and civilization takes a permanent holiday?
Well, being prepared is at the top of the list – but it’s going to be real tough to manage this list of things to do if you haven’t done some planning and worked it out in advance. You'll live life as a soldier, fighting for survival – a soldier of circumstance in a world gone mad. Perhaps you won't be alone and you'll have friends and family fighting to survive, right alongside you. Or perhaps things will be horrible and you'll have lost communication with every one you know – perhaps just for a time though. Maybe you'll find them again.
Maybe you won't.
We see the potential for armageddon right around the corner. Nations that hate the West coming together in a modern day "Axis of Evil" that are going to result in World War III. The greed of men. The hatred of other societies. The desire for power and resources. The belief (such as that of Radical Islam) that it's the end of days right now and that their "messiah" is going to arrive on Earth at any time and Islam will rule the world, and all it's enemies will be destroyed.
So what do you do to prepare? Here are 25 tips, secrets to living life like a "Road Warrior" and coming out ahead, and making a new life in a fallen world:
1) Study – you will need to do some reading, surfing and maybe even interviewing of survivalists. There are dozens of books out there, and even a few TV shows to watch that run you through the basics of survival in different climates.
2) Practice – yes, you can’t just read about it and expect to make it happen in the real world when you’re being chased by a horde of mindless zombies.
3) Plan – Disaster Preparedness Planning isn’t just a title, it’s an adventure. You will need to learn how to survive short and long periods of disaster imposed anarchy.
4) Prepare – You’ll need to stockpile supplies – of course, this will only help in the event of a short-term natural disaster – for planet wide Armageddon it will probably only take you through the first couple of weeks or months with no resupply.
5) Learn to hunt and field dress animals. This will involve a knife, so try not to cut off your fingers and wind up in an emergency room before the Rhode Island sized meteor hits the planet. Being able to hunt and prepare your own meat will help you in the long run to survive, adding precious protein to your diet.
6) Learn which plants are edible, and how to grow them yourself. Edible plants are your friends, non-edible plants not so much. Being able to identify which kind of mushrooms will make a better vegetable soup and which will kill you is pretty important. Poison control isn’t on speed dial when solar flares knockout all power on the planet.
7) Go camping! Learn the basics of outdoor survival even if it means learning how to sleep on a stone slab. Besides, you need to be comfortable with stone slabs when the religious zealot survivalists arrive and demand a human sacrifice.
8) Fishing is another tool to obtaining protein, which will be important when trying to maintain muscle mass. Smoothie King won’t be nearby to whip up a low-carb strawberry smoothie for you when earthquakes swallow them up. Yeah, the Starbucks will be gone too – buck up!
9) Exercise – you need to keep in shape to handle the rigors of a nuclear winter. Having your body in shape will allow you to handle the tough tasks associated with survival and help your body heal faster from injuries. A road warrior’s life in a post-apocalyptic society is a hell of a lot more grueling and dangerous than navigating office politics.
10) Hiking and backpacking – you’ll need to get on the move once the raiders (no, not the Oakland Raiders) figure out where you live and try to steal all your supplies (and your significant other, if you’re so fortunate). Being able to escape through the mountains just might be all that stands between you and some thug stealing your hiking gear and your life.
11) How much water do you need? The average human male needs 3 liters (about 13 cups) and the average female needs about 2.2 liters (about 9 cups).
12) How to get clean, safe water? Depending on the catastrophe, your faucet will either not be operating or won’t be operating long, at least not with clean water. Stockpiling is great, but that’s a lot of water and most people don’t have the room. Devising a water storage and treatment system can be a serious boon. Sans treatment options, your best bet is to obtain water from atmospheric resources (rain, fog, and condensation) and know where the local streams, rivers and lakes are. Natural sources will likely become contaminated, but boiling the water and using chlorine pills can make it safe to drink. If you have a desalination unit, you can pull water from the ocean – plentiful supply. You can even boil sea water and capture the steam which doesn’t have the salt in it. Finally, glaciers have plenty of water stored in them, enough for millions of your lifetimes, so if you live near one of those, you’re golden!
13) Learn how to ride a horse. They will ultimately be the alternate source of transportation, after bicycles and Segways (ok, maybe not Segways).
14) Learn woodworking – especially using only hand tools. There won’t be electricity after the apocalypse.
15) Get a generator.
16) Have a few gallons of gas stored to run that generator for a while. Local gas station pumps won’t operate if the grid goes down. If it’s the aftermath of a hurricane, looting is not acceptable.
17) If it’s the aftermath of a full-scale alien invasion though, looting is not only permitted but encouraged. Just don't hurt anyone else in your effort to clear out the grocery store of granola bars and peanut butter!
18) Learn how to use a gun, safely and accurately. Stockpiling a few thousand rounds of ammo might be a good idea too.
19) Learn how to shoot a bow and arrow. Bullets are in limited supply, but you can learn how to whittle an arrow after the supply at the local sporting goods store is completely looted.
20) What kind of catastrophe are you in? A major political shift, worldwide financial crisis/famine/pandemic, nuclear war, mega volcano eruption, asteroid impact, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse – they all have different scenarios for survival. You’ll need to plan for each one and follow your list for the appropriate disaster.
21) Build a survival cabin. Make it far away from everything so you can escape nuclear strike zones or natural disasters. Put a bomb shelter under it.
22) Communication devices to contact the bits of humanity still left – ham radio, CB, short wave radio, etc. Survivalists will have these to communicate.
23) Spare clothing and shoes – specifically cold weather / all weather gear that is durable and can take a beating. You maY need lots if you're stocking up for your family!
24) Medical supplies and medical books.
25) Propane - Propane storage tanks to run propane appliances and vehicles. Eventually you’ll run out of propane, but properly prepared and rationed, these could last several months or even years – possibly enough time for civilization to recover. Or long enough for you to learn how to make fire with just two sticks!
Is there more to it than just that?
Sure is. You will need to read up and make the proper lists and choices to cover all the scenarios. It ain’t cheap or easy, but then surviving the end of the world won’t be a picnic!
P.S. Where ever you live, If your nation falls and another world power claims the countryside as it's own, there's a good chance that the local currency is going to change to the currency of the invaders and your dollars or Euros are going to suddenly be worthless, other than being useful for toilet paper. Heck, you can wash them in the creek right and simply reuse them?
With that said, we've got one more tip for you, and that is this: If you find yourself living like Mad Max in the Road Warrior and are told to take a "mark" on your right hand or forehead to show your allegiance to the new world order, and you need this "mark" in order to buy or sell -- don't take the mark! This sounds a lot like 6-6-6 from the last chapter of the Bible - Revelation. The Bible might be a thing of folklore for a lot of people today, but just in case -- it might be wise to keep this in mind.
So, Road Warrior survival tip number 26: Refuse the mark of the beast. Even if it costs you your life.
Good luck, my friend!